Follow me on Pinterest

Followers

06 August 2013

Review: Lion vs. Rabbit by Alex Latimer

Lion vs. Rabbit 
Lion bullies all the other animals until finally they can't take it anymore. They post an ad, asking for help. One animal after another tries and fails to defeat Lion. Can no one stop him? Finally, a rabbit arrives. No one thinks that such a small animal will be brave enough or strong enough to defeat Lion. But perhaps this rabbit is smart enough?

The story itself is simple: Lion is a bully.  He's mean to all the other animals and they can't figure out how to make him stop, until Rabbit arrives. 

I can't wait to take this book to school to read to my students.  The subject of bullying is so predominant right now, but many think that it's the big stuff (name calling, hitting, etc), but in elementary school, it's all the stuff that Lion is doing:  wedgies, putting signs on backs, stealing lunch money.  I can see many students not knowing how to handle a bully, seeing Rabbit and really trying to outsmart their bully.

But, honestly, this book made me think of my two dogs, Skipper (almost 8 years old) and Luna (a puppy).  Skipper has always been the only dog in our house, and when we went to other houses with dogs, he would try to dominate them (not in a mean way, he'd just kind of herd them to another room or jump on someone's lap and push the other dog off).  Until Luna arrived.  She is more than half his size and doesn't take any guff from him.  In fact, I think he's scared of her.  She's his Rabbit (and if she'd just stop biting/chewing everything, she'd be my Rabbit, too)

I also loved the illustrations.  They are detailed, but not so detailed that they are overwhelming.  The little touches like speech bubbles, a note from home, and the advertisement make the story more interactive. 

Overall, I really enjoyed this book.  Like I said, I can't wait to share it with my kiddos (the non furry kind).

I'd like to thank Peachtree Publishers for asking me to be a part of the tour and sending me a copy for review. 

Be sure to check out some of the other blogs on tour:
Mon. August 5
Kid Lit Reviews: www.kid-lit-reviews.com
There's a Book: www.theresabook.com
 
Tues. August 6
Gidget's Bookworms: www.gidgetsbookworms.wordpress.com
 
Wed. August 7
Fun stuff happening on the Peachtree blog - I'm going to post a contest of our own up there, so feel free to link to www.peachtreepub.blogspot.com
 
Thurs. August 8
It's About Time MaMaw: www.itstimetoreadmamaw.blogspot.com
 
Fri. August 9
Satisfaction for Insatiable Readers: www.insatiablereaders.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gold stars given to good comments.